Your privacy is important to us and we are committed to keeping your information secure and managing it in accordance with our legal responsibilities under applicable data protection laws. We are registered with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as a data controller under registration number Z6491001.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully as it contains important information to help you understand how and why we process any personal information that you give to us.
The information we collect
We process personal information which you give us:
- As a client to provide you with legal services.
- Whilst servicing your account through our website, in writing or over the phone.
- If you request information or assistance from us.
The personal information we process
- Personal details such as your date of birth, address, National Insurance Number, telephone number and email address.
- Identity information such as your passport, driving licence, utility bills or national identity card.
- Credit history and records relating to you, your partner or anyone else you are financially linked with (we obtain this information from credit reference and fraud prevent agencies).
- Family, lifestyle, financial and social circumstances.
- Financial details such as your income and information about your bank accounts.
- Employment/self-employment details.
Providing a service and internal processing
Training and development
Complying with Legal Obligations
How we retain your personal information
We will retain your personal information in accordance with applicable laws. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or anonymise personal information we no longer need for the purposes we have set out above.
Our retention periods are (unless you agree otherwise or there is a legitimate reason for retaining the data longer):
NOTE: The individual retention periods may be increased where required. The fee earner acting for you case handler will confirm any change with you at the conclusion of the matter.
How we share your information
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- Regulatory authorities to comply with our legal obligations.
- Credit reference agencies to check your identity in accordance with our legal obligations.
- Property Search Companies as part of our property due diligence for you.
- Insurers for the purpose of providing you with appropriate financial cover for an identified insurable risk, or in connection with any claim made by you against us.
- Property Agents, Brokers, Lenders, third parties or other Solicitors involved in your transaction representing other party(ies).
- Government Departments such as HMRC, Companies House, Probate Registry, Court of Protection or HM Land Registry to fulfil your and our legal obligations.
- Experts and Barristers required to work on your matter.
- Our Auditors and external assessment bodies as required to meet any Regulatory or Quality Assurance Standards and accreditations which meet our legal obligations and/or enable us to provide quality legal services to you.
- Parties that we subcontract functions to in relation to the legal services that we provide including compliance consultants and external typing agencies.
We invest appropriate resources to protect your personal information, from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, no internet-based site can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorised or unintended access that is beyond our control.
You have the right to request copies of your personal information. If you think any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, you may also request it is corrected or erased. You also have a right, in certain circumstances, to object to our processing of your personal information, to require us to stop processing your personal information and/or to withdraw your agreement to processing based on ‘consent’, but this does not apply where we have other legal justifications to continue processing your data or an overriding legitimate interest.
In relation to all of these rights, please write to us at the address below.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information you may contact us using the details below and we will investigate your complaint. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office – (www.ico.org.uk ).
You can contact us by writing to:
The Data Protection Manager
Black Graf LLP
100 Baker Street London W1U 6WG
Our data protection manager is Ryan Ottman (email@example.com)
Telephone queries can be made to 020 7586 1141